Written by Maddy Reynolds
The process of moving is typically overwhelming for everyone, but it is an inevitable part of life. Luckily, these moving tips can apply to anybody. Although I have been around moving companies my entire life and have worked in the field for five years, I still have a difficult time knowing where to start. I moved into a new apartment just over a month ago, and while I had amazing help throughout the entire move process, it was nevertheless stressful. Here are some of my favorite moving tips I found to be helpful during my process.
- Know what you’ll need to get through the first few days in your new home, then make sure you know where it is. This will make your first few days in your new home go that much more smoothly. It can be helpful to make a checklist to make sure all of your most important things are accounted for.
- Pack a bag containing everything you will need to get through the first few days in your new home: changes of clothes (plus one more than you think you’ll need, just in case!), pajamas, medications, toiletries, towels, another pair of shoes – anything! I find it helpful to think through the first few days, step by step, to make sure I get everything I might need.
- Don’t forget about your first morning in your new home! This could be the most important moving tip here. I know that I have overlooked this important detail in the past, which can start your day off on the wrong note. Pack everything you need to make sure that your first morning goes smoothly all together in one container. Then make sure that gets placed in the new kitchen right away. Remember to pack all the essentials – you don’t want to bring the toaster without bread or the coffee maker without beans! Keep in mind that you might not have immediate access to utensils or dishes either. Make sure that every piece of your morning puzzle is where it needs to be.
- Make your bed soon after you get to your new home! Keep the box with everything you need to make your bed nearby, so that you aren’t wondering where you (or someone else) put it. Moving always makes for long days, and I know I was very grateful to be able to go to bed when I was tired, instead of having to hunt around and dig through boxes to find pillows and bedding.
- Finally, as you are packing (and unpacking), you will inevitably find things that you are ready to get rid of. Designate a “donate” box, and move it with you from room to room while you pack or unpack. Add anything you’re ready to get rid of to it, and don’t be afraid to start new boxes as you fill them up! I always find it helpful to bring the full boxes out of the apartment as soon as they fill up. Local Madison, WI donation centers include St. Vinny’s, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and the Salvation Army. We also have a partnership with The Road Home to pick up gently used furniture and more.
Packing a bag with everything you need for the first few days in your new home, making your bed, and setting yourself up for a good first morning in your new home are some of the best ways I have found to ensure I have a smooth start in my new home. And, of course, use moving as an opportunity to downsize and get rid of things you don’t need or want!
Don’t forget the most important moving tip – to give yourself a break! Moving is not a race; it’s more than okay to take a rest and put your feet up. Hopefully, these moving tips will make the first few adrenaline-fueled days of your new home go off without a hitch!
Be sure to read our post about general Moving and Packing Tips for more ideas to ensure a smooth start to your new home.
Questions? Comments? Need more moving tips? Don’t hesitate to drop us a line!